Light of FMF - Episode 01 - Prof. Arosha S. Adikaram


 Light of fmf – Prof. arosha S. Adikaram

‘Light of FMF’, the brand-new interview series of the FMF Media of University of Colombo commenced with a unique approach to the interview series to bring out the interesting untold success stories of our very own senior lecturers, ‘the pride’ of the Faculty of Management and finance. The very first episode of Light of FMF was conducted with the head of the Human Resource department, Prof. Arosha Adikaram who’s very well known for her charming personality and is loved by all of us in FMF.

We are proud to say that Mrs. Arosha Adikaram is also an FMFer who graduated from the Faculty of Management and Finance of University of Colombo.

Watch the Video Here:


Here are the Question we asked in the interview and her interesting answers;

How your career journey has been so far and what are your current engagements at the moment?

          I selected Human Resource Management for my specialization. After completing my degree, I joined John Keells Holdings as a temporary HR Executive. After 3 months company made my appointment permanent. Then the university called me for an interview for the position of temporary lecturer. Then, I joined as a temporary lecturer and after one and half years I became permanent. After the completion of my master's and my PhD. In 2016, I applied for a professorship and I was able to become the youngest professor in the faculty. Now I’m working as the head of the HRM department and also, I am the acting director of the center for gender equality in the university.

What inspired you to become a lecturer? And what were the hardships or challenges you faced to become the lecturer that you are today?

         Nothing inspired but life took me into this position. After joining as a lecturer, I loved the responsibilities and job itself. Like everyone, I had challenges but I did not consider those, and I was really committed to my work. I have supportive friends, a good team, and family. I am passionate and I do not see hurdles as challenges.

As an undergraduate of our faculty, what were the memories related to love, friends, rags, sports, clubs? Will you share with us some of those memories during university life?

            I had a group of friends consisting of two females and five males. We used to visit Majestic city those days and had fun. Sometimes we cut lectures even in the faculty. We had ragging but I avoided those as much as possible. I have a wonderful batch in university and we have got together annually.

What was your best memory or the funniest memory from those days?

           There was this time when the batch pass out , on the day that they take the batch photograph they would all throw water at us.  So I was trying to avoid that and the whole group was in the study room because we knew if we go out we will get a good bath .  But then we couldn't stay there forever of course and the seniors were waiting for us to come out so ultimately we had to come out . So when we came out we decided to act normal and the three of us nicely walked away  and of course the seniors threw water all over us , but even with that we just walked away and our friends were laughing like the  'vishaka walk' , and I think the seniors lost all the fun there.

If you were not a lecturer, then who would you be or what occupation you would’ve pursued?

        I would most probably be an artist or an entrepreneur because I value my own freedom and flexibility in the job.

If a student asks what is that one thing that you should not miss experiencing during the university life, what would be your answer?

            Relationship, Friendship & the fun


What was the biggest life lesson that you learned from your 20’s?

         When making decisions, listening to others is good but, you have to look at your context and make your own decisions. Never go with the trends and when the door is open, grab the chance. Always make decisions for your happiness and consider your personality as well.

What would be your concluding advice to all our viewers and for anyone who is looking up to you?

            Be yourself through Being kind, humble, and truthful to everyone.

 

HOLD ON!!
Stay Tuned with us for more exciting episodes in the coming weeks.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

FMF Media – INDUCTION DAY

The menu for your last meal ever

FMF - Media Committee 2018/19